Sunday 3 April 2016

Surviving Easter and Our First Scare

I meant to write a post about our first Easter without Freddie a while ago but just never got round to it, I feel like life is going at 300 mph recently! So I thought I would combine it with our first little scare, that felt like a big scare, that happened today. Just so you know, everything is fine now *touches wood* thankfully.

Easter was actually pretty lovely. I imagined it being a lot worse than it actually, like most of Freddie's milestones. My parents made him a beautiful floral basket to go on his grave. My mum picked the flowers, basket and rabbit and my dad arranged them. They also did one for my Grandad which was sweet as it was like they matched.

We actually took his basket up on Good Friday as the weather was so lovely and it just felt right. Knowing it was on there for Easter really helped me, I knew he would know we were thinking of him. I wish we could have him with us, trying his first ever Easter egg and making a mess everywhere...just like everyone else. But, like so many things, it's just something else we will never get to experience with him.

Mattie and I spent the day together and even ventured out through the rain (our car conveniently broke) for a pub Sunday lunch. I may or may not have treated myself to an apple and pear crumble with custard for pudding too! It really helped me to focus on the happier points instead of reflecting too deeply on what I was missing out on with Freddie.


On a not so positive note, today gave us our first (or rather my) first "scare". I woke up at 8 and led back, expecting to receive my early morning kicks but there was nothing. I still stayed positive and went to make Mattie and I breakfast, washed down with a hot mug of sweet tea to get baby H moving. I sat down and waited...all I got was a few tiny flutters that could easily have been confused with digestion movements. I still tried to remain calm and positive and went back to bed to encourage movement whilst Mattie went off to play football. I led there and waited and waited for a kick or punch to reassure me but there was nothing. Nothing would budge him, I gently rubbed my belly, played him music, lay on my left and right, drank ice cold water but he was totally still. I began to cry and the negativity was quick to creep in and I started to prepare myself for the fact I was about to lose another baby. Luckily I have super supportive and organised friends that encouraged me to phone the hospital so I could be assessed, which I did. I couldn't get hold of Mattie to let him know what was happening which was pretty scary and isolating but luckily he did come home before my appointment and was able to come with me.

By the time my appointment came around I had began to get little kicks but not as hard or as frequently as before so I knew I was right to be getting checked over. The midwife that saw me was unaware of Freddie but once I told her, she was lovely and reassuring. She really put me at ease and actually spent time with me, thoroughly checking everything to put my mind at rest. When it came to listening to his heartbeat with the doppler (no CTG as I'm not 28 weeks yet) I nearly stopped breathing myself. It always brings back memories of the silence that fell when Freddie's couldn't be heard. But it was there, loud and strong for a whole minute (as well as some hefty kicks which made me look like I'd made up the whole reduced movement saga! Ha!).

So here we are, as fine as we can be at this stage. Baby H is kicking away loud and clear whilst I type and I love every minute of it. Hopefully he won't give me any more scares between now and his birth but I definitely won't hesitate to get it checked if I feel it necessary. Something which I would advise all mothers to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment