Tuesday 18 August 2015

Baking Therapy


Since I was little, I have always loved baking. My mum was constantly producing freshly baked goodies and delicious home cooked meals. I also have find memories of making trifles and making rock cakes (still a firm favourite of mine) with my Gran. So it was pretty inevitable that baking would be a passion of mine. Whenever I'm anxious or upset or angry, I bake. There's nothing quite like taking your aggression out on a cake mix with a spoon!
Since Freddie died I've found it hard to get back into it. Maybe because I pictured him standing on a chair, helping me break eggs or stir the mixture like I did as a child. I even struggled to find the energy to make a meal, I just couldn't face it for a long time.
But this week I decided to put on an apron and get my bake on. The Great British Bake Off being back on TV definitely gave me the push back into the kitchen I so desperately needed! I decided to keep it simple and make some vanilla cupcakes with a vanilla buttercream filling. I really enjoyed making them and found it so therapeutic to focus on. It kept my mind distracted and it kept me busy (I tend to just sit around watching Netflix all day recently!). Even after I'd made them, I felt inspired to clean the house and I cracked on with a lot of overdue housework! Not that Mattie noticed and he rudely stomped his work boots all over my freshly cleaned floor *insert angry emoji here*. 
I would seriously recommend baking to anyone who is feeling down, stressed or even just pissed off with work! You don't have to be Mary Berry to make a few cupcakes and there's always someone willing to eat the produce...
Let me know any more ways you use to keep your mind busy or something that you find therapeutic!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds funny coming from me as I'm the laziest person EVER but swimming or running or tennis are good ones :) nothing better than smacking a ball nice and hard or running up a hill to a pretty view

    ReplyDelete