Thursday 22 October 2015

Do I Not Deserve To Have Another Baby?

It's been 4 months tomorrow since I've been trying for a second baby. Nothing. I know to many 4 months is a drop in the ocean in terms of trying to conceive but to me it's a lifetime. Freddie was conceived after one month (and I was on the pill) which makes this length of time even harder to accept.

I don't understand why my body won't allow it. I don't seem to understand much anymore actually. I don't understand why people that are unhealthy can have babies at the click of their fingers and I can't. I don't understand why people that don't even want children can have them with ease and I can't. I feel like a child recently. Constantly complaining that everything is "unfair" or asking Mattie "why am I not allowed?". I feel pathetic. I've become one of those miserable people that thinks the world is against them. I would just like to add at this point that telling someone who has lost a baby, "at least you know you can get pregnant" is quite honestly, stupid. I had one baby, and I lost him. I am not guaranteed to have another, it is not a given. And I find that so very painful. What if he was it? My one chance to have a baby? And my body failed him. I let my one chance at happiness die and leave me. I don't know that I can get pregnant whenever I want, and right now the evidence would suggest otherwise. What I do know is that I can lose a baby. And no matter how many children I have in the future (if I have anymore) I will still be waiting for them to die. I might cling onto the hope that they'll be OK and that I'll get to watch them live but there will always be that nasty, painful feeling that I'm going to lose them.

All I want right now is to be pregnant, to be given the opportunity to prove to myself that I can give birth to a live baby. To be given the chance to hear that cry when they're born.

I held a baby for the first time since Freddie was born yesterday. She was the sweetest little thing and she made my heart ache so much, for Freddie and for another baby. And she left me thinking that maybe I just don't deserve a baby. Maybe I would be a bad mother. I don't think I would be; I've always loved children and I love them so much. I always played with dolls as a child and people often commented how natural my maternal instincts were. I always believed I was born to be a mother. I never really wanted to go to University like my friends. I was tempted but all I really wanted to do was "settle down". I wanted to find someone who wanted a family and a house and a dog even from the age of 18. When I fell pregnant with Freddie my mum asked "did you want to get pregnant?" I said no but of course I did. Even though I was on the pill and I wasn't actively trying, I would have loved a baby.

I've done bad things in my life, I've made mistakes but I just can't think of something I've done that's so terrible, terrible enough to mean that I don't deserve a child, to be pregnant. People murder, abuse and mistreat other human beings and they can still have children? Why?

I'm in a strange place right now. I'm settled with Olive, with our new house, with how my relationship is now, with friends... I'm doing well. I'm getting through life, one day at a time. But at the same time there's an underlying level. A feeling of angst and frustration. Mostly aimed towards myself and partially aimed towards the world.

I'm not saying having a baby will make it all go away, it won't clean my slate so that it's shining and new, but it'll give me a feeling of peace, of acceptance. It'll dull the feelings that currently eat away at me.

I wish this was a more optimistic and cheerful post but I can't pretend my life is a picnic, I can't pretend that losing a baby isn't a big deal and I can't pretend that trying for a second is easy. It's hard. it's really fucking hard and it's even harder when your body won't co-operate.

1 comment:

  1. You will have another baby! You are young and healthy & have been pregnant before so there is nothing stopping it from happening again. I was the same after losing my son, obsessed with becoming pregnant again. Luckily I was blessed just 2 months after and I am now 5 months pregnant with a little girl. Being pregnant so soon after a loss is scary, stressful and full of mixed emotions as you are joyful for your new baby but still grieving the one you lost. It's a hard place to be so don't rush it but if you really can't wait I would suggest using ovulation kits, they worked both times the first time for me :)

    ReplyDelete