Wednesday 14 October 2015

Is My Body Giving Up On Me?

Another moaning and miserable post, shock! I honestly don't know what is going wrong with my body currently. I feel as if slowly but surely it's just shutting itself down like an old computer. Bit by bit, I'm breaking and I feel eventually I'll just switch off altogether.

Initially, I was so surprised at how well my body was recovering from giving birth. I had no tears so no stitches were needed and the bleeding stopped after 5 weeks, right on track. My periods began again, with only a 5 day late window. So far so good. My body slowly shrank back to almost my pre-baby body size. I still needed to tone up but I could fit back into my size 10 jeans after a week. My boobs probably took the longest to settle. I was still producing milk after a month and had to wear breast pads all day and a sports-bra to bed. Eventually they settled and give or take a few stretch marks (I went from an A/B cup to almost an E) they're back to normal. We were given the green light to start trying again from both my doctor and consultant so we did. Everything seemed to return to normality, or as normal as life can be nowadays, and my body was doing just fine.

Then came the back pain. It started in the last month of pregnancy with Freddie. The place I work for are honestly nasty people when it comes to pregnant women. It's nothing against the people I work for, they're fantastic. But the company needs to seriously change how pregnant women are treated. I was heavily pregnant and on my feet for 8 hours, with a 45 minute break. I wasn't able to sit at the till and had to always be busy...tidying, cleaning, fixing displays etc. I was at breaking point by my last shift and my back has paid the price. For the first month or two when Freddie was born the pain went and I thought it had gone for good. But it has suddenly returned and it's worse than before. I've tried yoga, exercise, long walks, changing posture but it's still there. An acute ache. To top that off, I think my wisdom teeth are coming through. I've had really painful jaw ache and my glands are the size of golf balls. Luckily this pain isn't constant and only seems to flare up in the evening and is quickly solved with a paracetamol and a cup of hot tea (how stereo-typically British is that!).

My most worrying issue at the moment is my period. Or rather, lack of it. It is now 2 weeks late. The latest it normally arrives, as mentioned earlier, is 5 days. And yes, I've taken a pregnancy test *5 to be exact* and no, I'm not pregnant. I know stress can alter your cycle but I've actually had a relatively stress free month. I've taken pre-natal vitamins, I've started fertility meditation (thank you Olivia if you're reading!) and I'm exercising and eating better that before I was pregnant. So I'm at a total loss. I've never had a period this late before, well apart from when I was pregnant. It's not like I'm even willing it not to come. If anything I do want it to come so I can get on with trying again. This just isn't like me at all and now it's starting to bother me. I don't know whether to go to the Doctors or whether they'll just dismiss it (like they always do). I don't want to go back on the pill to regulate them either.

Has anyone else experienced something like this or can anyone recommend something?

3 comments:

  1. Hey lovely I sure am reading lol , what I would say with those trying for a baby pills is they change your periods to start with , but I would also say you sure your not pregnant ? Only because it didn't show for 4 weeks when I was pregnant with Henry , but you could always check with the doctors however like you I try to avoid so they don't put me on the pill , have you tried parsley tea that brings on late periods and trust me it works just get a couple of sprigs and put them in boiling water does taste nasty but works ! Like you atm I don't know what my body's doing the doctor said go ahead try again but then on the other hand it can also take 6 months to a year for our bodies to be completely ready again and it's becoming frustrating if you ask me , I often ask myself the same question is it the stress? but I'm doing everything in my power to relax etc 😔 And even trying to track when I'm ovulating which doesn't seem to body work either ! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started taking them a week after it was late though so I don't know whether it's extended the time I have to wait now or whether I am just late! I think I'm just going to ask for a blood test for peace of mind. If I'm not it might subconsciously remind my body I'm not pregnant and spur it on (might just be going mad but it's got to be worth a try!). I'll give that a go, haven't heard of that one before! Yeah I heard that too, just hard to accept because before all this I was pregnant so quickly. I tried tracking mine too but I started to get obsessed and I don't think it was helping at all :( xx

      Delete
    2. Yeah I think ideally you start them on the first day of your last period and then continue, but yeah that's no harm in asking the doctors xx

      Delete